Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hunger pains, lipstick and family rides

NOCTURNAL HUNGER PAINS
Aria awoke at 4:00 AM last night screaming, "I'M HUNGRY!" I brought her a banana and a glass of milk. She said she didn't want the banana, so I gave her the milk and told her to go back to sleep. Just as I was snuggling deep into my covers and trying to relax my brain, I heard her yelling again. "I WANT MY BANANA!"
I threw off the covers, feeling annoyed, and walked back into her room. I peeled the banana and handed it to her, then I sat on the chair next to her bed and watched her eat. As she took little bites, with her bright eyes wide awake, I had to smile.
"Mom, I love you," Aria said in between bites of her banana.
"I love you too Aria."
"Mom, we were a family in heaven," she said.
"We were a family in heaven," I agreed.
Aria handed me the last fourth of her banana. "I'm all done." I popped the rest of the banana in my mouth, told her not to bother me again, and went back to my room. I tossed around in bed, trying to get comfortable. Just as I was beginning to get settled, I heard her yell again!
"MY ROAD! FIX MY ROAD!" Aria's "road" is her stuffed animals that she has placed in a perfect line along the side of her bed. If any animal falls to the side, or is covered by her blanket, she becomes upset.
"MY ROAD! MY ROAD!" Ugh! I couldn't bear to get out of bed again. Thankfully, Dane got up this time, fixed her "road" and lectured her about waking us up. She finally went back to sleep and we were not woken again until 5:45 AM, when Zade was up for the day.

LIPSTICK
I let Zade play with my make-up bag today in a desperate attempt to keep him entertained while I got dressed. Aria called me out of the room for a couple of minutes and I returned to my lipstick half eaten and smeared in about 5 splotches of dark red on the carpet. No more make-up for that boy!

FAMILY RIDES
We spent the day fixing up our bikes. We had to reconstruct the front of Tara's bike since her child seat had bent the stem. We were directed to a Bicas, a non-profit shop with tons of random, donated bike parts and art. When we got there, we felt like we were right back in Eugene. I was able to fix up Tara's bike for just $2. What a deal. It was a fun place:


Finally we were able to take the kiddos out on a ride to the park in the late afternoon. It was fun to ride bikes as a family. On the way back though Aria was so tired that she kept crying out, "Cranberry juice! Cranberry juice!" like a broken record player for at least 15 minutes. (The child is incredibly spoiled when it comes to beverages and will not drink water.) Suddenly her crying stopped and we realized she had passed out in the trailer, her little face pressed against the plastic screen like a smashed bug. Zade seemed relieved to have the screaming over.


And here's a glimpse of one of Zade's most endearing faces. It's the one he does when he see's something that surprises and interests him, and lets out a little "Ooh! (with an upward swing in his voice).

No comments: