Sunday, August 17, 2008

Monsoon season and church callings


In August, the weather in Arizona is quite eventful. It will be a blistfully blue-sky day, then black clouds will blow in from nowhere. Suddenly, you look out your window and waterfalls are pouring from the skies, the streets are flooded and the once dry riverbed is flowing with water. Such was the night when our bishop came to visit our apartment. I was trying to nurse a screaming baby as the thunder boomed outside, then came the surprise..."We'd like to call you to be the Young Women's president." I raised my eyebrows in surprise and then....boom!....all the lights in the apartment went out and Dane, Aria, the bishop and I were left in the pitch black. I was wondering if this was some kind of sign from God that maybe the bishop had made a mistake. Dane went to look for a flashlight and was in the midst of lighting candles when all the lights came back on. We resumed our discussion of the calling and then all the lights went out again. This continued a few more times as we discussed what this new calling would entail. It was quite the eventful night! The calling is definitely a surprise, especially considering we've only been in the ward 2 weeks; nonetheless, I'm excited and looking forward to it. This will give me the opportunity to still be involved with young people, even though I'm no longer teaching.

The picture above shows a tree that blew down right next to our apartment and smashed the carport.

No comments: