Sunday, May 12, 2013

PhD Graduation

This week I graduated from the University of Arizona with my PhD in Management (with an emphasis in Accounting).  I can hardly believe it's actually occurred, but after 5 years here, I've finally accomplished it. Before I ever started the program I had this impression come into my mind once that I would be able to accomplish this.  At the time, I thought that was a weird thought, since I had never questioned my ability to do it.  However, once I got into the program, I became grateful for that impression, because there were definitely times where I wondered if I would make it through (particularly when going through econometrics). However, with the help of divine Providence, and a ton of hard work, things worked out.

We had what likely is the largest graduating class ever from our department, which made for a lot of fun.  Here's a picture of our group, along with where we'll be going for our jobs: Curtis Hall (Drexel), Phil Lamoreux (Arizona State), myself (Penn State), Landon Mauler (Florida State), Dave Kenchington (Arizona State), and Tim Hinkel (Kent State).  I'll miss all these great guys.  They have made this program a wonderful experience.

The Accounting department had a nice graduation lunch for the MAcc and PhD students on Friday, and then the entire business school had a graduation ceremony for Masters, MBA's and PhD students on Saturday evening.

Amazingly, the kids were well behaved during the entire ceremony.  I couldn't believe it.


My parents also came down from Oregon for graduation.  It was great having them here.  My family had great seats on the 3rd row to watch graduation.  The only downside for my dad, who was sitting by the aisle, was that one of the masters students on the other side of the aisle had arrived at graduation totally smashed and during the ceremony she hurled all over herself.  Since he's a sympathy puker, he barely was able to keep from doing the same.  Good times. :)

The kids had fun playing with the mortar board cap afterwards.

Here's the picture I was given at graduation.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Congrats Dane! Funny to think how different the experience must have been for you 6 guys compared to mine graduating alone last year. Good luck with your move! If you happen to drive near Akron on your trip, you certainly have a place to stay.

Mimi's Blog said...

Congratulations! I am glad your parents could be there to celebrate this wonderful acheivement with your sweet family.