Sunday, May 9, 2010

Zade's baby blessing

Since we were out in Utah for Shara and Stephen's wedding, we got permission to perform Zade's baby blessing in Tara's home ward in Sandy, Utah. Tara's immediate family (excluding the honeymooners) were there, along with several members of her aunt Marjorie's family, even my father was able to made the trek up from Oregon to be there as well. Since I'm not a fan of long prayers or blessings, I tried to keep it fairly short and to the point. Since this is basically our family journal, I thought I'd list some of the things that were said in the blessing, should he care to know someday:

- That he'll have a sharp mind, optimistic outlook, and uplifting sense of humor,
- That he'll have health and strength so that he can fulfill his mission in life,
- That he'll discover his talents early in life, so that he can develop them to bless other's lives and his own.
- That he can also have many spiritual experiences at a young age so that he can know independently of all other people that God lives and loves him, and of His plan for him.
- That he'll be a good example at home, school, and church, and be a light in their lives
- That he'll be able to serve a mission and be married in the temple, so that he can experience the great joys in life that God wants all of his children to have.

That's the general gist of it. These are many of the same things I blessed Aria with. Because a baby's blessing is truly God's to give, I prayed about each of these points before giving him the blessing to ensure the Lord was on board with them, and I felt a sense of peace as I went through each one, so I feel confident that they were in accordance with his will. And as always, I ended the blessing with the open ended statement that we were leaving him these blessings, and any others that the Lord sees fit to bestow on him. He was a good little boy and waited until the blessing was over before he started crying. :) Aria only made it about half way through the blessing before she was done and began crying. I don't blame either of them, since those little babies get bounced so much during the blessing.

Anyway, since both of Zade's grandpa's were there, I got a picture of them holding him afterwards:

No comments: