Thursday, July 30, 2009

Yosemite National Park

Our third stop, after a brief night stay in the small town of Tonopah, was Yosemite National Park. We awoke at 5:30AM and hit the road from Tonoopah to Yosemite so that we could arrive in time to secure a campsite. Since most campsites in Yosemite are first-come-first-serve, we didn't want to take any chances.



By the second evening of camping, I was feeling rather dirty so I talked Dane into going to a nearby lake. He told me I shoudn't wash my hair in the lake, so I settled for shaving without any soap.






We hiked to a lookout called Sentinel Dome which offered a 360 degree view of Yosemite.
It was breathtaking. We also befriended a couple of chipmunks who were so forward that Dane felt forced to offer a cracker for fear of being bitten.










Our campsite had a lovely little creek at the back with wildflowers.
Unfortnately, the campsite didn't have running water, so we had to boil water from the creek.











There's nothing like a hot breakfast in the morning when you wake up nearly frozen to death. The only challenge is waiting in the cold while the food cooks. We didn't expect the temperature to drop so drastically during the night. Aria woke up cold in the middle of the night, so I took her into my sleeping bag, but I had to partly unzip it, which made me cold, so I then passed her on to Dane about an hour later. In the end, Dane was up most the night freezing, but at least the baby slept well. Nothing like parental sacrifice. :)













Aria enjoys munching on apples. It kept her entertained during the boredome of having to sit in a hiking pack. Aria didn't particularly like sitting in the pack, but she would be content if she could eat something, or hold momma's hand. Dane liked to repeatedly make the comment that he was a pack mule.

















2 comments:

Annette said...

Impressive campers! Wow.

Kari said...

Yes, that is impressive! Is Dane getting enough to eat? He's looking a bit on the thin side. Stuff that apple in his face too! (Love that picture of Aria and the apple.)